Sunday, December 05, 2010

Joining the facebook game

Currently, many of my friends on facebook have been changing their profile picture to cartoon characters. This is supposed to promote awareness against child abuse. Like other facebook crazes that have preceded this, it's become quite popular and yet I couldn't wrap my mind on how changing your picture to a Thundercat would help.

As well intentioned as it may be (and, may I add, a lot of fun), I refused to play along.

Then the wife changed her profile picture.

Her choice was the princess in a late 70's Japanese animated film Hakucho no Mizumi. A film that was essential viewing in her childhood as Hugo the Hippo was to mine.

She also was now curious on which character I would choose to put up on my own profile. At first, I said I wouldn't do it. I was just too cool for that... but I did start thinking about it.

DC comic characters were easy choices. A few of the old Warner Bros. animation cast would be a good one too. I could easily have gone for 80's tv favorites like Mask, He-Man or G.I. Joe. And of course, there's my old friend Hugo the Hippo.

In the end, I decided to join in, but only on my terms. I would create my own picture. No cutting & pasting for me. I drew my 10 month old daughter, Alison, as Supergirl. It was fast, easy and, as it turned out, quite relaxing. It's been some time since I've drawn without the thought of a paycheck or deadline in mind. Just drawing for the love of it.


Lastly, here's the video that, according to a friend, supposedly inspired this facebook campaign. Changing a profile picture is one thing but getting involved with your time or money is another.

5 comments:

jose emroca flores said...

Macky how are you getting your lines so clean? Photoshop?

Macphisto said...

Jose - Yup. Photoshop. Not exactly the most quick & efficient way.

Anonymous said...

funny. never knew anyone else besides me and the siblings who've seen hugo the hippo. we named our first dog after him.

Anonymous said...

who's seen. lol.

Macphisto said...

kissacloud - you guys saw it? and named the dog too? i need to ask little jon about this. the film's a big deal for my bro & i.